At the 23rd Annual Day Celebration of Geojit BNP Paribas Financial Services
Dear friends, let me first discuss about the knowledge society in 21st century.
The world in the 21st century will be a knowledge based society with multiple opportunities. I was reading a book, “Empires of the Mind” by Denis Waitley. This book gives, what type of the new world which we are facing now? What was yesterday and what is today. I have modified certain points of the author to suit our conditions. I have also added a third line which relates to action of university.
It specially says that “what worked yesterday, won’t work today”.
Yesterday – natural resources defined power
Today - knowledge is power
Corporate will nurture and invest in ideas
2. Yesterday - Hierarchy was the model
Today- synergy is the mandate
Corporate will be enabler of intersection of multiple faculties towards mission goals
3. Yesterday – leaders commanded and controlled
Today – leaders empower and coach
Potential Business Leaders will be empowered through exposure to the needs of sustainable development
4. Yesterday - shareholders came first
Today – customers come first
Corporate should inculcate sensitivity to “customer” needs
5. Yesterday - employees took order
Today – teams make decision
Corporate will promote team spirit and empower them to make decisions
6. Yesterday - seniority signified status
Today – creativity drive status
Corporate will evolve as the breeding environment for creativity in business models
7. Yesterday – production determined availability
Today – Competitiveness is the key
Corporate will constantly evolve methods of continuous improvements through value added services and product revisions
8. Yesterday - value was extra
Today – value is everything
Objective Value Addition to be introduced as a key success parameter for performance evaluation of each employee
9. Yesterday – everyone was a competitor
Today – everyone is a customer
Corporate will be aware and work towards fulfilling its social responsibility to the customers, people and the nation
10. Yesterday - profits were earned through expediency
Today – Work with integrity and succeed with integrity.
Corporate will work and succeed with integrity and propagate the philosophy in all its employees
Friends, the knowledge society of the 21st century will mobilize India towards a developed country in another ten years. Now, let me give my visualization of India during the year 2020.
Distinctive profile of the nation
1. A Nation where the rural and urban divide has reduced to a thin line.
2. A Nation where there is an equitable distribution and adequate access to energy and quality water.
3. A Nation where agriculture, industry and service sector work together in symphony.
4. A Nation where education with value system is not denied to any meritorious candidates because of societal or economic discrimination.
5. A Nation which is the best destination for the most talented scholars, scientists, and investors.
6. A Nation where the best of health care is available to all.
7. A Nation where the governance is responsive, transparent.
8. A Nation where poverty has been totally eradicated, illiteracy removed and none in the society feels alienated.
9. A Nation that is prosperous, healthy, secure, devoid of terrorism, peaceful and happy and continues with a sustainable growth path.
A Nation that is one of the best places to live in and is proud of its leadership.
Friends, for realizing this distinctive profile of India by 2020 in the next ten years, the rising Indian Corporate Sector has a tremendous role to play. The corporate sector backed by its innovative thinking, creative employees and financial assets can take up each of these pillar of development as a mission towards fulfilling their Corporate Social Responsibility and evolve and execute financially sustainable and inclusive models towards achieving the goals.